Since abuse is often committed by trusted authority figures, particularly in nursing homes or under in-home care givers, many victims are afraid, unwilling, or unable to report it.
In fact, according to the National Center on Elder Abuse, for every reported case of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, five additional incidents are unreported.
Because of this, it is essential for loved ones to be familiar with the warning signs of abuse and neglect.
After discovering any abuse or neglect should note:
- The name, age, and address of the victim
- The name of the facility and/or those responsible for the abuse or neglect
- The nature and extent of harm and physical signs of abuse
- The time and date of the incident
- A description of any previous incidents
You should report nursing home abuse to:
- Experienced Attorneys that deal with those that neglect and abuse seniors
- New York State Department of Health
- A facility’s administrator, director of nursing, and social worker if the abuse occurred at a facility
- Local or state law enforcement
At Zelentiz, Shapiro & D’agostino, we offer elderly abuse and neglect victims, and their families, professional representation.
Contact us at (718) 523-1111 for a free evaluation and learn how we can help you through this process.